Gillian Welch and David Rawlings have recorded and released a new album of cover versions titled All the Good Times (Are Past & Gone). The album contains two Bob Dylan songs ‘Señor’ and ‘Abandoned Love’) , John Prine’s ‘Hello in There,’ Elizabeth Cotten’s ‘Oh Babe It Ain’t No Lie’ and ‘Jackson,’ made famous by Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra on the pop charts and Johnny Cash and June Carter as a country hit.
The album’s title comes from the traditional song of the same name, ‘All The Good Times Are Past and Gone,’ which is also included.
“For reasons better discussed in the history books, in the Spring of 2020 Gillian and I dusted off an old tape machine and did some home recording,” said David Rawlings. “Sometimes we bumped the microphone, sometimes the tape ran out, but in the end we captured performances of some songs we love. Five are first takes and five took a little more doing, but they all helped pass the time and held our interest in playback enough that we wanted to share them with you. We sincerely hope that you enjoy.”
You can buy the album at the usual digital outlets such as Bandcamp: https://gillianwelch.bandcamp.com
The album also includes Norman Blake’s ‘Ginseng Sullivan’ as well as the traditional songs ‘Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss,’ ‘Poor Ellen Smith’ and ‘Y’all Come.’
All the Good Times tracklist:
- “Oh Babe It Ain’t No Lie” (Elizabeth Cotton)
- “Señor” (Bob Dylan)
- “Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss” (Trad. arr. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
- “Hello in There” (John Prine)
- “Poor Ellen Smith” (Trad. arr. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
- “All the Good Times Are Past and Gone” (Trad. arr. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
- “Ginseng Sullivan” (Norman Blake)
- “Abandoned Love” (Bob Dylan)
- “Jackson” (Jerry Leiber, Billy Wheeler)
- “Y’all Come” (Arlie Duff)