WOMADelaide today announced the first round of 21 stars who will celebrate the events 25th anniversary festival over the weekend of 10–13 March 2017 in Adelaide’s stunning Botanic Park; an announcement highlighted by the inclusion of seminal English ska and rocksteady icons, The Specials. After numerous international number one hits and top ten singles, including Ghost Town and A Message to You Rudy, and nearly 40 years since they first hit the stage, The Specials will be returning to Australia after a five year absence to deliver their instantly recognisable British ska and Bluebeat.
Joining The Specials is one of the world’s most successful Brazilian artists, Grammy-nominated bossa nova singer, Bebel Gilberto. The daughter of singer Miúcha and bossa king João Gilberto, Bebel keeps the family tradition alive with a modern electronic twist on the laidback sound that her father pioneered.
Other program highlights include Australia’s favorite folk trio The Waifs, returning after 12 years and also celebrating 25 years; Jamaica’s one-stringed guitar phenomenon Brushy one string; National Treasure Archie Roach who performed at the inaugural WOMADelaide in 1992 – and the feisty political hip-hop artists Inna Modja (Mali) and Ana Tijoux (Chile).
Director, Ian Scobie said, “It seems like yesterday but in the 25 years since 1992, WOMADelaide has brought together a diversity of artists and audiences and evolved into a completely immersive, welcoming and accessible cultural experience where art matters and is celebrated. It truly has become ‘the world’s festival’, all within one park, over a glorious long weekend.
“Over that time we have been fortunate to be able to share some unforgettable musical memories with literally hundreds of thousands of festivalgoers who have helped make the event an important part of Adelaide and the nation’s cultural life,” said Mr Scobie.
Artists announced today:
• 9Bach (Wales) – WOMADelaide exclusive
• Ana Tijoux (Chile) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide exclusive
• Archie Roach (Australia)
• Bebel Gilberto (Brazil) – WOMADelaide debut
• Brushy one string (Jamaica) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide exclusive
• Cie Carabosse (France) – WOMADelaide exclusive
• The East Pointers (Canada) – WOMADelaide debut
• Gawurra (Australia) – Adelaide debut
• Hanoi Masters (Vietnam) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide exclusive
• Inna Modja (Mali) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide exclusive
• La Mambanegra (Colombia) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide debut
• The Manganiyar Classroom (India) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide debut
• Mercedes Peón (Spain) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide exclusive
• Philip Glass Ensemble KOYAANISQATSI Live – Life out of Balance (USA) – WOMADelaide debut
• Sinkane (Sudan/USA) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide exclusive
• The Soil (South Africa) – Australian premiere, WOMADelaide exclusive
• The Specials (UK) – WOMADelaide debut
• Sudha Ragunathan (India)
• The Waifs (Australia)
• Warsaw Village Band (Poland) – WOMADelaide debut
• Xylouris White (Greece/Australia) – WOMADelaide debut
The full WOMADelaide 2017 program will be released over the coming months. The next announcement will be 8 November.
WOMADelaide, 10-13 March 2017, Botanic Park, Adelaide, South Australia.
For information and tickets visit www.womadelaide.com.au